Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Favorite Artists: Katsuhiro Otomo

I was introduced to Otomo's work a few years ago, when I decided to watch "Akira" on the net. I loved the film the first viewing, and immediately wanted to own it on DVD. This of course, got me interested in the artist, and the Akira manga. What impresses me most about Otomo's drawings are how technical they are. Obviously, this makes sense, since he went to art school for drafting and architecture, but it's still amazing to look at. I mean, just look at that image to the left! I also appreciate that Otomo's work abandoned the traditional manga look of big eyes, tiny mouths, and bad proportion, but instead took more inspiration from American and French comics. Otomo even cites the French comic artist Moebius as one of his biggest inspirations and favorite artists. And yet, his style is very unique to himself.

I highly reccomend his Akira Manga, and his other most famous work, "Domu: A Child's Dream".

I wish I could find more art of his(that isn't Akira), it's very hard to come by on the net(in a higher res).





1 comment:

  1. Kibun wa mo Senso (Katsuhiro Otomo)
    http://jacomic.blogspot.jp/2013/03/kibun-wa-mo-senso-katsuhiro-otomo.html


    Highway Star (Katsuhiro Otomo)
    http://jacomic.blogspot.jp/2013/03/highway-star-katsuhiro-otomo.html

    ReplyDelete